Sunday, January 14, 2007

NO JOY IN MUDDVILLE

The Indianapolis Colts beat the Baltimore Ravens yesterday, 15-6. I guess us Baltimore fans were asking for it given the way we built this game up beyond all reason. What we ended up seeing was how the Ravens have played all season: the defense was dominating, the offense was shaky. The defense did rattle Peyton Manning a bit, creating 2 interceptions, 1 sack, and allowing no touchdowns. That, at least, was satisfying. If only the offense could've delivered some touchdowns. Oh well, there's always next year.

The game was cathartic in a way I hadn't expected. By experiencing the loss, I realized that it really didn't matter much in the vast scheme of things. The Indianapolis Colts are just as alien to me as the New England Patriots or the San Diego Chargers. I was more upset that we weren't going to the Super Bowl than that we lost to the Colts. In some strange mental twist, I no longer saw Baltimore's past in that blue-and-white jersey. They're just another team. I have purple in my veins now.

Football season is essentially over for me. I'm eager to begin devoting my Sunday afternoons to creating new customized action figures, and I will report on my progess in future entries. Stay tuned.

No comments: